Olyver Berth
Newsmaker
23.05.2026 09:16

U.S.-Venezuela Flights Reopen, but Americans Still Face a Level 3 Travel Warning

Commercial air links between the United States and Venezuela are opening up again, but the practical message for American travelers is more complicated than a simple route comeback. This week, American Airlines added a second daily nonstop flight between Miami and Caracas, expanding the first restored U.S.-Venezuela passenger service in seven years. Just days earlier, the U.S. State Department updated its Venezuela advisory while keeping the country at Level 3: Reconsider travel.

That combination matters for the U.S. travel market because Venezuela is once again becoming reachable by nonstop service from a major American gateway, especially for family, business and diaspora traffic tied to South Florida. At the same time, Washington is signaling that better air access does not mean the operating environment on the ground has become low-risk or routine for leisure travelers.

What Changed This Week

On May 18, 2026, the State Department reissued its Venezuela advisory and kept the country at Level 3, citing crime, kidnapping, terrorism and poor health infrastructure. The advisory also updated the embassy section to reflect the resumption of U.S. embassy operations in Caracas after seven years, but it stressed that consular help remains limited. Routine consular services are still suspended in Venezuela, and most routine services for U.S. citizens are still handled through the U.S. Embassy in Bogota.

On the airline side, American Airlines said its second daily Miami-Caracas flight began on May 21, giving the market more frequency just three weeks after the carrier restarted service on April 30. American said the restored service reconnects Caracas with more than 85 onward destinations through Miami, underlining how important the route could become for U.S.-Venezuela traffic flows if demand holds.

The broader reopening is not limited to Miami. The U.S. Department of Transportation said on May 12 that United Airlines plans to resume daily Houston-Caracas service on August 11, which would make United the second U.S. airline returning to the Venezuelan market and extend the recovery beyond South Florida into another major U.S. international hub.

Why the Warning Still Matters

The updated State Department advisory is a reminder that route restoration and travel safety are not the same thing. The advisory says U.S. travelers face elevated risks from violent crime, kidnapping and terrorism, and it specifically warns about using unregulated taxis at Maiquetia Simon Bolivar International Airport, the main airport serving Caracas. It also says security risks exist around ATMs near the airport and that nighttime intercity travel is risky.

For travelers used to reading airline route launches as a green light, that distinction is important. Flights can return because diplomatic channels, security reviews and commercial demand have improved enough to support service. But a Level 3 advisory means the U.S. government still believes Americans should think carefully before going and should not assume a normal support environment if something goes wrong.

That is especially relevant because the embassy situation is only partially restored. The State Department says the embassy in Caracas can provide limited emergency services and that routine consular support is still not broadly available inside Venezuela. For travelers, that raises the stakes around passport validity, visa compliance, medical planning and on-the-ground transport arrangements.

What It Means for U.S. Travelers and the Market

From a market perspective, the restored flights are meaningful. Miami has long been the dominant U.S. gateway for northern South America, and renewed Caracas service creates a more direct option in a corridor that had been forced into circuitous routings through third countries. That should save time for many travelers and could gradually improve pricing and itinerary reliability in a market that has lacked nonstop competition for years.

It also gives American Airlines a stronger Latin America story at a time when airlines are fighting hard for international traffic with clear visiting-friends-and-relatives demand. If United follows through with Houston service in August, the reopening could start to look less like a one-route exception and more like the early rebuilding of a niche but commercially relevant U.S.-Latin America market.

Still, this is not a straightforward leisure recovery story. The State Department notes that U.S. citizens must have a valid Venezuelan visa to enter legally and warns that consular support remains constrained. In practice, that means the reopening is likely to be most useful first for travelers with specific family, work or essential travel reasons rather than for mainstream U.S. vacation demand.

Travelers comparing airport options ahead of a trip can also review Odyssey’s guides to Miami International Airport, Simon Bolivar International Airport in Caracas and George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

The Bottom Line

The most important development for the U.S. market is not just that flights to Venezuela are back. It is that capacity is expanding even while official U.S. guidance remains cautious. For airlines and some travelers, that points to real pent-up demand and restored connectivity. For American consumers, it also means the usual route-launch headline needs an asterisk: nonstop access has improved, but the destination still carries material security, health and consular risk.

That tension is likely to define the next phase of the market. If flights fill and operations remain stable, more U.S.-Venezuela service could follow. But unless the risk environment and consular footing improve further, the travel rebound will remain selective rather than fully normalized.