Olyver Berth
Newsmaker
23.05.2026 11:17

U.S. Expands Ebola Entry Restrictions to Green Card Holders, Tightening Travel Rules Again

The United States has widened its fast-moving Ebola travel controls again, this time extending temporary entry restrictions to lawful permanent residents, a step that raises the stakes for U.S.-bound travelers, airlines and travel planners dealing with East and Central Africa itineraries. The change, announced by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on May 22, comes just days after federal authorities began rerouting certain arriving passengers to Washington Dulles International Airport for enhanced health screening.

For the U.S. travel market, the significance is clear: the new rule no longer affects only foreign nationals without U.S. immigration status. It now also reaches green card holders who have been in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda or South Sudan within the previous 21 days, creating a more disruptive compliance environment for travelers with family, business, humanitarian or medical ties to those countries.

What Changed on May 22

On May 18, the CDC used its Title 42 public health authority to suspend entry for certain non-U.S. citizens who had recently been in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda or South Sudan. At that stage, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals and lawful permanent residents were still allowed to enter the country, although some travelers were subject to extra screening and rerouting.

That changed on May 22, when the CDC said an interim final rule had revised the government’s authority under 42 CFR Part 71.40 and now allowed the agency to apply the temporary restriction to lawful permanent residents as well. In practical terms, green card holders who have been in those three countries during the prior 21 days are now barred from entering the United States while the current order remains in effect.

The agency said the measure is temporary and tied to the current outbreak response. The CDC’s original May 18 order was set for 30 days while officials carried out a broader public health risk assessment and coordinated mitigation steps with other agencies.

Why It Matters for U.S. Travelers and Travel Businesses

This is not a niche policy shift for the travel industry. Lawful permanent residents are a large and important part of the U.S. long-haul travel market, particularly on routes that involve family reunions, visiting friends and relatives, medical work, aid activity and business travel. By adding green card holders to the restricted group, the federal government has increased the number of people who may need to delay return trips, cancel itineraries or rethink complex multi-country travel plans.

Airlines and travel advisors also face a narrower margin for error. Carriers serving connecting traffic into the United States must make sure affected passengers are identified before boarding, while corporate travel managers and nonprofit organizations may need to revisit movement plans for employees or residents with U.S. permanent status. The rule also adds fresh uncertainty for travelers who may not have realized that a stop or stay in one of the affected countries could now block re-entry altogether.

For passengers still permitted to enter the United States after recent travel in the affected region, routing may still change. The CDC says travelers who are not subject to the entry ban but were recently in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda or South Sudan may be rerouted to Washington Dulles International Airport for enhanced public health screening, with airlines handling rebooking where necessary.

Outbreak Pressure Is Rising

The U.S. action is unfolding against a rapidly worsening Ebola situation. According to the CDC, no Ebola cases linked to the current outbreak had been confirmed in the United States as of May 22, and the overall risk to the American public remained low. But the outbreak itself has expanded, with the CDC reporting 744 suspected cases, 83 confirmed cases and 176 suspected deaths, along with a newly confirmed case in South Kivu Province.

The World Health Organization has also elevated the international response. On May 16, the WHO determined that the Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda constituted a public health emergency of international concern. By May 21, the WHO said there were 85 confirmed cases across the two countries, including two in Uganda, and noted that transmission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo had expanded into Ituri, North Kivu and South Kivu provinces.

That deterioration helps explain why U.S. authorities have shifted from airport screening alone to a broader entry-control framework. Readers who want background on the earlier phase of the policy can also see our recent coverage of how Ebola-related screening rules began rerouting some U.S.-bound travelers through Dulles.

What Travelers Should Do Now

Any traveler with a green card and recent travel in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda or South Sudan should assume that return to the United States may be blocked under the current order and confirm status directly with the airline and U.S. authorities before departure. U.S. citizens and nationals who are still permitted to enter should be prepared for flight changes, arrival screening and post-arrival health monitoring for 21 days after leaving the affected area.

For the broader U.S. market, the key takeaway is that Ebola-related travel controls are no longer static. In less than a week, the federal response moved from heightened screening and rerouting to a more restrictive policy that now touches permanent residents too. That makes this one of the most consequential late-May travel policy developments for airlines, international travelers and U.S.-based organizations with exposure to Africa-linked travel flows.